Sunday, January 23, 2011

Prayer at Virginia Senate

I really get nervous about praying for a government meeting like this.  I am such an advocate of separation of church and state, but appreciate the opportunity that is before me.  I have been reading some of Peter Marshall's prayers and others that have prayed in these situations often.  I mainly see a need for peace, guidance and the willingness to love our enemies as ourselves.  I do not know if this attempt at a written prayer does anything advantageous for the Kingdom of God, but here it is below.  If you might have any pointers, I will check my email before I leave in the morning.  
God be with you in the Journey!
Kevin

Senate of Virginia
Monday, January 24, 2011
Opening Prayer
By
The Reverend Kevin D. Ritter, Centerville Baptist Church, Chesapeake, Virginia



Dear Holy God, Creator and Sustainer of all, we recognize your presence here, and ask that in this new day, you grant your guidance and blessings upon these Senators who come as willing servants and leaders of the people of Virginia.
Help the Senators and all who work with them
-         to desire what is correct and upright,
-         to be tools of peace and wisdom,
-         to have the courage and strength to make the difficult decisions that are for the true benefit of the people according to your will,
-         to be faithful in admitting their own mistakes and forgiving those mistakes they may see in others, and
-         to open their hearts to see your wonderful love moving through everyone they might be in contact with today.
We thank you for your amazing love and for hearing our prayers today.  We pray for your glory to fill this place, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment